Monday, August 11, 2008

the piracy they earned


There was a time when people appreciated artists and what they stood for. Their passion was what got them their fans.


Of course that time gave way to Rakhi Sawant. Angel-winged strippers took over music and before you knew it you had videos selling the music. They got their fans too but somewhere down the line the respect for good music and a good artist reached an all time low.


I know that piracy sucks and all that. But I think once people realized that the artists was in it just for the money, they started to rip music without guilt.


Off late I notice a turn of events. Though piracy continues unabated, I find that some people ready to purchase original music/films simply out of respect for the artist who created it.


A friend refused to get a pirated version of 'Aamir' because everyone said it was a good movie and they’d released the DVD, 'so then why screw someone when they’ve done a good job'.

I’ve heard a lot about Rabbi’s new album and really want to listen to it.

Rabbi’s lyrics are moving. And in today’s day and age if someone can sing about things the way he does, then I want to buy that damned original CD to show my support for him and his music.

I think it’s pretty cool if you buy an original just because you believe that the person’s work is worth supporting. In the age of information sharing and easy downloads, it says a lot about an artist’s worth.

While I agree piracy sucks, I think some artists totally deserve it :D (not you Rabbi. not you)

5 comments:

  1. Actually, if it weren't for piracy, some artists (not Rabbi though :) ) would probably just go completely unheard ;)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ekdum right...Also, just seeing the hard DVD case sitting on your shelf is a delight...I don't think a bunch of bytes feels as much of a 'trophy'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i never thought of it that way! how true. the actual DVD cover and all does feel like more of a trophy/possession.
    thanks for the thought gaurav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its about convenience aswell.. pirated stuff u get in formats u want.. i wouldnt want to buy a cd then rip it then put in on my player.. its pain. and i know of no one who buys music online.
    Besides, i think people buying music to support the artists are really a minority.
    its different for movies though. movie doesn't play in the background as music does.. buying a dvd for collection makes sense thus. In any case, Indians would readily 'collect' movies rather than 'music albums' simply because we still don't have big enough non-filmi music names.

    p.s. - i am worried for the sake of music industry.. if they come to depend on people to buy stuff because they 'support' an artist.. sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lucid writing style. simple and straight to the point...its the same with books...I would always purchase an original if I really loved that writer...the 'on-the-road' ones are for a quick read (or for trying a new author), which I wouldnt even want to display on my bookshelf

    ReplyDelete