Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away


The Bee Gees sure got something right. Nothing is truer in advertising than this.

So I figured that I'd mention the two ads in recent times that have (IMHO) used words incredibly well.

1. Chuskiyaan zindagi ki

I just loved this. Those three words play up so much in my mind. So many memories, anecdotes. It just encapsulates the perfect Indian experience... family conversations over tea. While the CCDs of the world proclaim that a lot can happen over coffee... tea promises a lot of simple and memorable conversations. sigh. too bad i don't drink tea or coffee. Else Red Label would be my way to go.
Though I find it off that
they didn't capitalize on a line like that. I have seen on this one commercial. Are there more?

2. Lagan ki syahi se...

Okay so I hope I got the brand right. The new TVC by Cello is really my favourite these days. Simply because of the words. If memory serves me right, it goes something like this..
mehnat se himmat se lagan ki syahi se kuch kar dikhao kuch ban dikhao

and I totally love the lagan ki syahi se part. what a nice way to look at pens.

However the situation isn't all that great for everyone. the new Reliance Ad tries to force fit some good writing even though it has nothing to do with the brand. Sure the words are good but then make no sense with the ad:

suna hai khwaabon ko room mein band rakhne se par nikal aatey hai... it goes on like that but at the end i'm left wondering what the ad was really about. Cuz the words went one way and the brand was... well, lost.

Any ad I've missed out?

Update by Prof Falguni. It turns out the ad is not from reliance but by Tata Indicom. So much for brand recall :) Whatever happened to look & feel of a brand being similar across communication?

12 comments:

  1. nice.. wasn't there an ad about some paint to which Javed Akhtar had contributed some lines? I think I liked that Ad, and perhaps you would too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ namit: yes i think it was the asian paints ad. It was amazing. 'har ghar kuch kehta hai'

    ReplyDelete
  3. suparv blog .t his is really a nice blog and keep it up
    visit my blog
    www.netfandu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a-visiting here for a while now..
    Even after a few hours of reading this post, m still thinkin up ads that I particularly like\d.Which eventually got me to thank you for the good time the read gave me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ shuchita: thank you for your comment :) really sweet of you to drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Har ghar chup chaap se yeh kehta hai ki andar usmein kaun rehta hai?
    Chhat bataati hai... ...yeh kiska aasmaan hai.
    Rang kehte hain kiska yeh jahaan hai. Kamron mein kiski kalpana jhalakti hai? Is farsh par nange pair kiske bacche chalte hain?
    Kaun chun chunke ise pyaar se sajaata hai? Kaun is makaan mein apna ghar basaata hai...
    Har ghar chup chaap se yeh kehta hai... ki andar usmein kaun rehta hai?

    This one is Piyush Pandey... Remember Tabu's voice over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can you miss out on Bajaj. All their TVC have great words. All the TVCs, starting from the old - hamara Bajaj(amzing music but great words) to the new Avenger ad - "I feel like God." which is all about superb voice over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ nidhi: yep those ads were simply amazing!
    I was just trying to put down today's TVCs that have made an impact. And i could only think of 2 :-|

    ReplyDelete
  9. the ads not Reliance..its Tata Indicom...and i've been dying to ask Bindra Nair n Palekar to explain the brand connect for a while now :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ conformist: i know. falguni ma'am pointed it out. which made me wonder whether similarity in look and feel is not kept in mind when filming :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Conformist?? Is that you Vipin? How come this change of pseudonym, you pseudomallu!

    And, okay, I liked the Tata Salt ads, 'maine desh ka namak khaya hai' and the kinley 'boond boond' song wala ads.

    Ashish

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ ashish: 'maine desh ka namak khaya hai'... that always reminds me of Mathew and his argument against the ad :)

    ReplyDelete