Friday, August 22, 2008

5 professions the internet has most annoyed


1. Doctors


I think doctors are great and they know a lot. But then they can’t know more than google right?

Anyway, point being, the internet allows us to figure out what’s wrong with us and what to do about it. It doesn’t replace doctors of course. But imagine having to deal with a patient who tells you to check for so and so complication because Maria in Brazil suffered from it last year .. so says google.

So I won’t blame the doctors if they hate the internet and the free and perhaps inaccurate medical advice it brings.


2. Teachers


I remember telling a professor at MICA that now that the internet rules our lives, we no longer need teachers. Err.. after all we can learn from the web, right?

Sure the internet lets teachers access amazing study material from across the world. But it also lets students know more about stuff than their teachers. Imagine telling a class about Shakespeare for the first time and having a kid quote Macbeth to you off the net.

I think the internet is forcing teachers to evolve. They can no longer be information gatherers.


3. Quizzers


I’m no quizzer. I never have been. I find it impossible to retain information and I lost the only quiz I ever participated in. I remember my partner giving me the stink-eye after I passed every question. (Sorry little boy who had to team up with me. You were good but so was I. They just didn’t ask the right questions!)

Anyway, I think that the internet takes away from quizzing too. While it’s a wonder that someone knows the names of so many of the capitals of the world, I think it was a bigger wonder that the person put it all together. Google surely takes away from that. No?


4. Match makers


I am told that earlier every village had a match maker. A man who was often a postman or a barber, would know the inside scoop on families. He would help out in suggesting matches. The internet sure did him in.


5.___________ So while I’d have loved this post to be about 5 I couldn’t think of anything. So help me out a little :)


Kunal says it's the postman. Poor chap can't even ask for bakshish anymore :)


2 comments:

  1. IMHO,

    Advertisers :) Its so easy for brands to reach the customers now with all the digital content that its not even funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Saurabh: I was hoping to keep that a secret. I need my job. So shushhhh!

    ReplyDelete