Saturday, June 7, 2008

why it sucks to work in a basement

To put my misery in perspective for everyone, let me inform you that I work in Mumbai. A city which is about to face a nasty monsoon (they're expecting 102% rainfall this year, whatever that means).

Last year was my first monsoon in Mumbai. Sitting at my desk in the basement I was quite paranoid about the rains since I'd heard plenty about Mumbai's penchant for drowning.


On a rainy day during my first month in Mumbai, my colleagues from another unit from my basement started to pack up and leave at 3pm. Looking out I panicked as I saw the raindrops trickling down the little ventilator window.


Grabbing my umbrella and bag I decided that I would leave for home at that very moment (even at the risk of getting fired for taking an unauthorized 'half-day').

In my head, I was already revising my argument for leaving early.
I wasn't going to let myself drown to death because of my job!! Enough is enough.


Okay, so basically it turned out the rest of them were leaving for a team party, and there was no threat of drowning to 'death' as I had imagined.

Yes, I returned to my desk and worked till 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment