Friday, June 20, 2008

if you're marketing, you're dead



We all realize that the digital space is about engaging people and having a conversation with them.

One-way marketing messages mean you'll rot in digital hell. (which isn't any better than the real hell, what with the distinction between the real and the virtual blurring)

While trying to promote a website for diabetic kids (chidia.com) I ended up plastering orkut and facebook and created a page for the lovable little chirpy that was the mascot.

I had committed the dreaded M word. Marketing. I tried to post mention of the public-service-site in as many forums as possible without giving any thought to the existing conversations on the forums.

Why the digital space is tough on marketers
1. It takes too much time and patience to be a part of the hundreds of conversations online!
2. Poor things, they confuse digital and broadcast all the time. Marketers have been broadcasting messages forever and it's not easy to suddenly have to have a 'dialogue' with consumers, who historically were supposed to just shut up and listen.

It's so easy as marketers to just advertise. I shouldv'e known it wouldn't work. I mean, if I was having a conversation with my friends and an idiot of a marketer jumped in, mouthed a jingle or a message and ran away, I think I'd be pretty pissed.

So, here's to having more conversations about chidia.com and lesser social-network-bombarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment