Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I found myself a new job


If there's one thing that really makes my blood boil, it's people littering city as if the world's a garbage dump.

On a recent train journey to Pune a lovely young (seemingly educated) couple threw a whole lot of stuff out the window into the 'universal dustbin' that is the world around us.

I thought to myself... (even though it was bloody hard to think with my temper rising by the second)

'Maybe I should just stare at him and he'll get the hint.'

So I gave him the stare. But he just looked confused :D

'Maybe I should wait till he decides to chuck something else out and stop him then.'

So I sat and waited for him to start to chuck something out again. God! Those were the longest minutes of my life as he slowly munched his food on his soon-to-be-out-the-window-paper-plate.

Just as he reached out the window to chuck his plate I screamed

"WAIT-WAIT. DONT-THROW-IT-OUTSIDE!"

and I reached for his plate in an attempt to force it out of his hands and throw it in a dustbin. (totally filmy I tell you!)

So basically he apologized, and took it to the dustbin himself (I think!) and went on to tell another kid in our compartment to do the same and not chuck junk out the window.

He said to me

"Thanks for reminding me"


( which of course caused a big smug grin to surface on my face which I tried my best to hide with a book I was reading)

So I've decided that since I'm probably not going to be doing anything great for India, I might as well just take on the job of a cleaner.

Last evening I picked up two ticket stubs that this lady threw on the compartment floor. She noticed my clean-up-act but didn't say anything. As for me, I was happy that 2 less ticket stubs littered mumbai last night.

7 comments:

  1. Well done...I think that's the only way to teach people some civic sense.

    Cheers,

    Quirky Indian
    http://quirkyindian.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kya baat hai.. very good... Love you SP-character btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gandhigiri zindabad. Or should it be Sonalgiri :D

    Ashish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pepsodent mom!! How I wish everyone does their bit!

    ReplyDelete