Monday, November 24, 2008

CC: The Best CYA trick of all time


CYA is an in-built program that runs in every professional's lazy-ass body.

It's short for 'Cover Your Ass' and it's just the thing to employ if you're too scared of getting into trouble. (which by the way makes you a wuss according to me)

CC is great when you want to say something to someone but think it'd be a good idea for others to overhear just so that everyone's on the same page.

But sample this....

ME is sonal
CHA is the man Covering His Ass and CC-ing 5 people who have absolutely nothing to do with the project.

---
MAIL1: 13:02pm
me: Please confirm that this is okay. (nobody CC-ed)

MAIL2: 13:10pm
CHA: Please add these images, they're missing. Let me know if you need anything else. (CCs 5 ppl + CEO for no reason whatsoever. Did he expect the CEO to take my case for not adding those images?!)

MAIL3: 13:11pm
me: Thanks. I'll be taking care of the final prints and submissions tomorrow. It'll all be within deadline. Will send you a copy. (had to CC those 5 +CEO. sigh)

MAIL4: 13:13pm
CHA: Just to check, you'll incorporate the images in the final prints right? The ones I just sent you! (5 ppl CC-ed + CEO)

---

I'm thinking GAWD! of course I will. I just replied to your mail!

By now I was pulling my hair out because there was no way I was going to CC 5 people to just say "yes". So I just called him up and replied.

This is a typical exmaple of CYA where you feel safer about your ass knowing that the big fish know you did your bit and did it on time. You know... lest some scumbag try to pin the fault on you.

Tch. Tch.

Wuss!

7 comments:

  1. Is this a true life incident?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF is a "true life" incident?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i know these kinds... it happns to me all the time... jerks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha...once again very aptly put..CYA is the first rule of the unwritten "corporate code"...very very frustrating and annoying to deal with!!! i am also running out of patience with these loosers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too many of these CYA types around.....

    BTW, I am surprised CHA didn't send another mail (cc-ed to all) to remind you to reply to his mail....people like him don't consider a phone call protection enough.

    Cheers,

    Quirky Indian
    http://quirkyindian.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ kunal: it happens to all of us all the time. There're so many of them out there. God!

    @Gauri: cowards is what I'd call them. I mean, i can understand if it's something that's extremely important.. but triple CC-ing every mail??!!

    @ Quirky: No, thankfully he didn't ask for a mail after I called. That would've really really done it :)

    ReplyDelete