Saturday, July 5, 2008

a little love

There's this dialogue in "Shall we dance" which perhaps sums up companionship best.

Susan Sarandon says - “We need a witness to our lives. There are a billion people on the planet. What does any one life really mean? But in a marriage you’re promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things and the mundane things. All of it. All the time. Everyday. You’re saying, your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. You’re life will not go unwitnessed, because I will be your witness.”

Before you groan at the quote, let me get straight to the point. I recently came across news that Ruslana, the gorgeous model committed suicide at the tender age of 20. The gorgeous, rich (some say she was broke), glamourous little girl of 20 decided t jump off her building.

This disturbs me. Not because she's gorgeous or famous, but because she, like so many young people, gave up.

It is said that she was lonely. We've all been there at some point in life (I know I have), but luckily for us there was someone who validated our existence and agreed to be our witness...

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourite dialogue. The writer must be a diplomat, but nevertheless very beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete