Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The 'e-mail-a-marketer' experiment


I was watching this Jaffe Juice video on how companies are clueless about how to deal with their consumers since thanks to the internet they now have a voice (OMG!).


I decided to put that to test in India. You know, write a few mails and see what I get.

So I picked three companies. No, I did not want this to be a personal agenda against a company that I despised anyway. So I picked three that I positively loved.

Company #1


(snacksmart)

I'm a chips junkie and I figured it'd be great to just mail them and check up on why they aren't selling any Uncle Chipps (which is the best!) in half the country.

Company #2


I love my chocolates too. And having seen their advertising about the Cadbury Lite, I figured I'd ask a bit more about the product.

Company #3

Since I don't work in pest control, my love for Mortein might seem strange. But trust me, when you're living alone in the mumbai monsoon (with no mom to rescue you from cockroaches and rats) you need your Mortein! I wrote to them with a query about their rat poison.

And here is what I got

Lays The mail bounced back.

Cadbury Server error.

Mortein No reply.


While more and more marketers rush to climb on to the digital wagon, they forget that sometimes just simple old emails do the trick. When I wrote this, I assumed they would at least send a reply, even if it was stupid.

Picsquare once answered my email within 20 minutes of my query. Oh and it wasn’t an automated reply.

Update. When Kapil didn't receive a DVD with his magazine copy from Infomedia, the company actually sent him a copy with their next issue. Wonder when the sleeping marketing giants will wake up and smell the coffee.

Update 2. Kapil also shared this interesting post by Jenny and Dave who talk of the amazing customer service in India. It's a unique take and a must read.


PS: is anyone else has had such an experience, mail me. I'll add it to the list.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting how the coompanies spend huges ammounts of money on advertising and throw it all away by forgeting to address contact forms correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone reports this for brands I work on, please lemme know. I will force them to work on it and make sure they reply to every customer.

    And nice experiment btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote to infomedia about a missing DVD in one of my magazine issues and they responded the next day with a prompt message saying the DVD would be with my next magazine issue.

    but if I give it some more thought I think I will be able to come up with brands which never responded. let me think!

    ReplyDelete