Thursday, October 23, 2008

the really short story

Khyati showed me a site that runs a contest for the best short story. The only catch is that the story needs to be really short. 140 characters to be precise. A typical SMS limit.

My first thought was that it's interesting, but I wondered if it would be any good.

So I visited their winners page and am now eating my words :D

Sample this!

'The baby's fine,' the midwife says, touching her hand. 'Bit of a scare there, but he's a little fighter. Have you decided on a name yet, Mrs Hitler?'
By Uta Coutts, Hitchin, Hertfordshire

'I love you,' she says just before he places the pillow over her face and presses down, hard. As her cancer-gaunt body stills, he feels his heart break.
By Uta from Hitchin in Hertfordshire

'Aren't you the musical one son' said Dad. 'Don't know where you get it from.' Mum's blush rose as the postman passed the window, whistling tunefully.
By Julie Forest

'I'm home' I yelled, entering the house. No response. In the kitchen my wife sobbed and hugged our son. 'Daddy's dead' she whispered, looking through me.
By Gail Lockwood

Visit the site for more.


I propose a short story contest on my blog. Lemme invite a judge. Who knows, there may be prizes :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. superb stuff!

    140 character is indeed crisp, short and precise. but not where i can be.. :D

    if short stories interest you, visit 100words.com.

    and yes, lets do the short story contest. i want to try my hand at it.

    ReplyDelete