Monday, September 29, 2008

an afternoon with shyam benegal


"tell him I hated Bose, but loved Making of the Mahatma"
"tell him I'm looking for a good role in the movies"
"he might just offer you a film"

Sorry people. I did not tell Shyam benegal any of the stuff you asked me to.
Actually for the most part I kept my mouth shut and my ears open.

He spoke about many things, from the distasteful reality shows on TV today to the reason why 'ramdev ka sajjanpur' became 'welcome to sajjanpur'.

I'll begin with the latter.

In his own words, people want 'evening entertainment' and to them Shyam benegal can probably only provide 'evening's gyaan' :)

To escape the tag of being 'serious' and heavy, the marketing team at UTV decided to alter the title to the more frivolous and easy going 'welcome to sajjanpur'.

For those who know Prof Mathew from MICA, would understand when I say that great minds think alike. The disappointment at the new generation's lack of 'world view' is both depressing and very obvious in the sentiments Mr Benegal expressed.

He is so right when he says we have become information gatherers for reasons known best only to us. That we cannot ever be wise with our concept of education which does not push us to read more and understand more perspectives.


I'm not sure if I found the meeting with Shyam Benegal inspiring or depressing, knowing what my life and career is and how it's heading in a direction as a meaningless as reality tv.
Maybe if my state of mind was more positive I'd be inspired. But right now I can't be anything but thoroughly depressed.

2 comments:

  1. u really need a violent shake up and a warm hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sonal,

    ram here..!..you dont have to be depressed..be inspired that at 75 he has the energy, intellect and passion..

    your life has just begin!..

    ReplyDelete