Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Brand soundtrack or item number?

It's a no-brainer that a good soundtrack can make people want to stick to the channel when your ad is playing. I did that for Parachute's Gorgeous Hamesha and even the karo zyada ka irada for Max New York Life.

So it comes as no surprise that I am completely bowled over by the Discovery campaign 'I love the whole world'. So much so that I want it as my ringtone, caller tune, soundtrack for life and whatever else there is!



The song makes me want to give Discovery a BIG hug and definitely adds to brand. In addition to being informative, discovery to me, is now totally lovable.

I can't help but compare the rather expensive Hero Honda music video 'dhak dhak go'. The video had its moments with people coming together and it perhaps even had some optimism about the future of our young nation... blah blah. But it didn't really evoke any sentiment, much less a download.



Oh and you can download the official mp3 and video of I love the whole world from the discovery site. So you can viral it around. That's something Hero Honda missed on their site. (I couldn't find it, if you can then lemme know)

Sentiment vs Information vs Item Number
Music, to my mind, is about a sentiment, a feeling. And if you use it to just force your brand down someone's throat you'll be left with a B-Tex type of khujli ad and nothing more.
Though I must confess I am not sure how much good a soundtrack does to a brand in the long run, but it sure helps memorability of an otherwise run-of-the-mill campaign.
Of course one runs the risk of turning the soundtrack into an item number. Complete with background dancers, confetti and disco lights. And then just like with item numbers, another brand comes to replace yours the next week.

Perhaps like Airtel and Puma (Paulo Nutini's 'New shoes') more brands need to look at their soundtrack more seriously. It might just allow their brand to live well beyond the measure of media spends.

3 comments:

  1. Sonal, There is also the element of the target audience. While the Dhak Dhak Go song may not really do much for you, but it may evoke a different sentiment in an aspirational 20 something for whom a bike would be the first vehicle the family owns. Conversely, the Discovery song may mean nothing to the same person. I do agree that the lady in white tights is unnecessary, but I expect the rationale is the same as any item number in a movie - to grab male eyeballs. Also the lady on the bike is a nice touch, the gravitational force on the neckline notwithstanding.

    That being said, is this HH ad a TV ad or just an internet ad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Suraj: I completely agree. The TG for the HH ad is definitely the aspirational 20 something. But I doubt if a full (expensive) music video needed to be shot to convey what they wanted. If they wanted a full song, they should've tried to make it more memorable, no :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get what you're saying. I LOVE the Discovery ad. and the Puma ad. and although I'm not the TG i like the Bajaj jingle too!

    :D

    ReplyDelete